UPD Mail Archive: UPD> RE: UPD Charter Proposal

UPD> RE: UPD Charter Proposal

Sandra Matts (sandram@boi.hp.com)
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 10:59:33 -0700

good point. This is true for Windows based drivers so I will change and
update the charter. Unix doesn't have a notion of driver vs OS.
Does anyone want additional sentences for the Unix case?

Sandra Matts

-----Original Message-----
From: mwu@kodak.com [SMTP:mwu@kodak.com]
Sent: Monday, October 26, 1998 9:22 AM
To: sandram@boi.hp.com
Subject: UPD Charter Proposal

>From Lotus Notes user: Michael Wu

Sandra:

I have a question on the Charter Proposal Line #28.

I think the UPDF is for the printer driver to configure itself after read
the UPDF not the operating system. UPDF will not require the OS to
configure the driver. This will ensure the driver will have the dynamic
discovery features. For example, when the user selectes a different
printer, the driver (the same driver) should read in the UPDF and
re-configure itself to be the new printer driver by changing the UI etc.
OS should have no knowledge of it.

On the requirement statement: since we are defining a text file format for
the drivers, there is no any issues with hardware or software requirement.
So any issues with hardware and software limitation should be removed.

Let me know if you want specific items that I indicated above.

Michael Wu

Printer Driver Group
Eastman Kodak Company

901 Elmgrove Road