UPD Mail Archive: Re: UPD> re-scope of UPDF

Re: UPD> re-scope of UPDF

BEN_BREZINSKI@HP-Vancouver-om1.om.hp.com
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:49:33 -0700

Item Subject: UPD> re-scope of UPDF
I don't see any much overlap between IPP and UPDF. UPDF is the
description of the printer, and is (should be?) transport independent.
As far as I know, we haven't made IPP a required component of UPDF.

I agree that we need to re-clarify. IPP is capable of retreiving
facts about the printer, but UPDF expresses not only the facts, but
how they relate to one another.

If we steer toward Linux and Unix, then we need to drop the "U" from
the comittee name, as it will no longer be universal, and will be of a
much more limited interest to me.

Regards,
Ben B

Subject: UPD> re-scope of UPDF
Author: sandram-at-boi (sandram@boi.hp.com) at HP-Vancouver,shargw1
Date: 8/12/99 10:32 AM

Hi,
Even though the UPDF spec is coming along - the work is not as focused
as it could be. I believe there are a couple of reasons for this. One being ther
sheer size of the task. We did an excellent job dividing the job into sections -

UI, Localization, etc - but I haven't done a very good job keeping the work
focused on a specific area.
Another issue has been the usefulness of the project itself. Is
UPDF really needed when IPP can retrieve some of the info from
the printer? Can IPP and UPDF complement each other or is there maybe
too much overlap?

There also has been some thought about steering UPDF towards
a Linux (and other Unix flavors) printing solution and not really a "Universal"
solution. What do
people think about that?

Chuck sent out the DTD vs Schema link. This is something to look at. Als
please check out the UIML and XUL documents for User Interface specification in
UPDF.

thanks,
Sandra

Sandra Matts