UPD Mail Archive: UPD> Fw: IPP> registered parameters

UPD> Fw: IPP> registered parameters

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@oaktech.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 13:20:12 EST

    Ok, Ok. Don't shoot me.
    I should have been more specific. I considered it common knowledge that a
    predefined parameter ID is only used additionally to numeric values for
    width, height and some other necessary parameters. I never questioned that
    and the current version of UPDF has that incorporated.
    I just want to set clear how far a UPDF format would take predefined
    parameters into consideration.
    Hoping to interpret Michael's and other comments right there is another
    option.

    3. Do not specify any predefined parameter for any paper size.
    Leave that to the OS specific driver/client relying that it knows about
    width and height of predefined OS specific print media sizes (to stay with
    the sample) and assign them by interpreting the printer's values for width
    and height. So the driver would discover the proper predefined parameter for
    such an OS. It needs some rounding functionality. Probably this would be
    done once during installation or so.
    This puts some more burden to the driver developer of such an OS, but it is
    a clear statement.

    This could work well for this specific sample print media size.
    We'll have to see whether we'll find clear technical parameters for any
    feature.

    I put this option for vote.

    Regards
    Norbert Schade