UPD Mail Archive: Re: UPD> installable options

Re: UPD> installable options

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@oaktech.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 18:41:47 EST

    Jim,
    thought about it some time before.
    If you'd add options with all their stuff into the master description, I am
    convinced that we only get that running for options known at the time of the
    master description editing.
    There is no chance to add/remove options later, which is the idea
    (especially for third parties). At least if you'd add some later, you'll
    have to do some serious merging of information at many different places. I
    consider this missing extensibility a lack of the GPD concept.
    Adding the configuration stuff to the master description is a fair request.
    We will talk it over in the meeting. There was no other reason for me than
    not touching a finished description after having shipped it. And I would
    have to add/remove references to options later. No other reason.
    One may have the same thinking about the docking info. I'm open in that area
    as well.
    Norbert