UPD Mail Archive: UPD> Generic Features

UPD> Generic Features

From: Jim Sommer (sommer@granitesystems.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 10:30:59 EST

    Norbert and I met yesterday to go over a few items. The one item that we
    spent the most time with was the "Generic Feature". If you recall, the
    generic feature was a way of allowing the definition of features that we
    couldn't possibly conceive of but that are generally controlled with either
    PJL, IPP or special PS at the beginning of a job. The generic feature
    doesn't affect how the driver generates PDL, it just generates special,
    device specific commands.

    Defining the structure for the generic feature wasn't a problem but
    handling them in constraints was. Norbert and I couldn't come up with a
    generic solution so we've had to fall back to the following:

    - Identify common, currently-used printer features and define these in UPDF.
    - Allow for a fixed number of other printer features and allot space for
    them in UPDF.

    The proposal is to allot space for 16 generic, undefined printer features.
    In addition, the following features will be predefined:

    - Output Order
    - Jog
    - Staple
    - Punch
    - Finishing
    - Print Density
    - Print Quality
    - Resolution Enhancement
    - Toner Saver
    - Page Protect
    - Jam Recovery

    The structure of each of the predefined features will be exactly the same
    as the generic features so they can really be used as desired.

    If anyone has any other items that they'd like to be predefined, we're open
    to suggestions. I think that if we have 16 predefined features in addition
    to 16 generic features then that should be more than adequate.

    Comment?

    Jim