UPD Mail Archive: UPD> open standard for locales

UPD> open standard for locales

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@oaktech.com)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 13:16:03 EST

    If you look into the 'UPDF Entities.dtd', you see an entity defined for locales.
    It's a quite short list implemented by Mike Young about two years ago.
    I'd like to finish that section in the near future.
    So I am asking for a proper concept we can use in our open standard.

    Requirements:
    It has to be complete, which means it should support all major human languages.
    It must provide two components, where the first is the default language like English and the second is the dialect.
    This allows required fallback routines.

    Right now we have a more verbal system with an uncomplete list.
    Before we finish that I ask for feedback from experts.
    Even if you connect me to some people, who are supposed to be the experts, it'd be fine.

    Regards
    Norbert Schade