UPD Mail Archive: UPD> new locale list

UPD> new locale list

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 18:16:05 EDT

    I have implemented Jim's list of locales.
    I had to make few changes because of XML syntax (Blanks not allowed in defines, etc.).
    So we have a complete locale list now in our entities.
    Check it out and see how it's used in the dtd and XML files.
    A developer working on a locale XML file, can see the abbreviation for the file name in the attribute of the LocaleIdentifyer. That was one of the targets.
    A Windows (or any other operating system specific driver) is now supposed to provide a conversion list to Windows specific locales. As this is a generic function, it would be part of the core of any generic driver.
    Some extended functionality for fallback would provide routines to automatically select the proper language by default and even if the perfect match is not available.

    We have solved all my open items in this area. Any comments from your side?

    I was asking for statements about the number of PDL per UPDF description. Thanks for all the input.
    I think the vote is unanimously for one PDL per UPDF. Hereby decided.
    I think that is very realistic and I am glad about the common view.
    If in far future there will be the day where we had thousands of descriptions, there will certainly still be a chance to merge them in increase the UPDF level accordingly.

    Regards
    Norbert Schade