UPD Mail Archive: UPD> Re: IPP> Fwd: Media Names, case se

From: don@lexmark.com
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 20:02:18 EDT

    All:

    I prefer we go with case insensitive names.

    * Don Wright don@lexmark.com *
    * Chair, Printer Working Group *
    * Chair, IEEE MSC *
    * *
    * Director, Strategic & Technical Alliances *
    * Lexmark International *
    * 740 New Circle Rd *
    * Lexington, Ky 40550 *
    * 859-232-4808 (phone) 859-232-6740 (fax) *

    RonBergman%aol.com@interlock.lexmark.com on 04/02/2001 12:01:44 PM

    To: ipp%pwg.org@interlock.lexmark.com, upd%pwg.org@interlock.lexmark.com
    cc: (bcc: Don Wright/Lex/Lexmark)
    Subject: IPP> Fwd: Media Names, case sensitivity

    From: "Bergman, Ron" <Ron.Bergman@Hitachi-hkis.com>
    To: "Tom Hastings (E-mail)" <hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com>
    Cc: "'ipp@pwg.org'" <ipp@pwg.org>, "'upd@pwg.org'" <upd@pwg.org>,
    "'RonBergman@aol.com'" <RonBergman@aol.com>
    Subject: Media Names, case sensitivity
    Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 08:57:08 -0700

    Tom,

    I am curious as to why you changed my original statement that the names are
    not case sensitive to the the complicated set of requirements that, in
    effect,
    states "do whatever you want, but explicitly state what you want."

    Your specification puts a larger burden on the Printer, since the printer
    will
    have to conform to the applications. (The printer may have to do a case
    conversion for some applications and not others.) So the printer (or other
    device) must know the exact format required by the application.

    Just stating the names are not case sensitive, puts the burden on the
    client.
    But the client simply has to do a conversion on all names received to
    whatever
    case he has chosen for his tables. The client does not need to know what
    the printer is sending.

    Whatever we conclude,, this text needs will be moved from section 5 to
    section 10, since it applies to all the names in the specification.

        Ron