UPD Mail Archive: UPD> XML syntax

UPD> XML syntax

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@oaktech.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 14:31:32 EDT

    I'm looking out for help today while trying to write some proper XML for what I want to implement.
    My intention:
    Let think about media types.
    It's quite easy to provide a list of predefined keywords to let the developer choose from allowed values only. That's an attribute with an enumerated list.
    But it's getting complicated when I want to allow him to choose from the list or enter his own name for a custom media type. So I was dreaming of something like an editable combo box. Does not seem to be possible with XML.

    What about workarounds? Who was facing that kind of problem already and developed some syntax for it? Or knows somebody who did or may know?
    A simple solution could be to add a keyword 'custom' to the list of predefined ones and adding another attribute, which then holds the custom string. Feels like a hack to me. In that case I'd expect a rule like 'show the custom string only when keyword custom is chosen in the predefined list'. Don't know that syntax either by heart.

    Help???
    Norbert