UPD Mail Archive: UPD> Note 4: proper content changes after

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@oaktech.com)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 15:18:06 EDT

    After the latest notes we should have new files.
    The last step we have to cover in this area is what changes are necessary within the XML files.
    The major issue is to change the references.

    Open the configuration files with your xml editor and check the references to device description, command sequence and locale files. As you can see now these references determine, which files the driver will look for. You will not go to prison, if you don't follow the file naming spefications I sent you. But to stay with the rules generally improves readability and maintenance.

    The last mandatory change you got to do is to change the UnitName in your device description.
    That's the name you will select and see in your user interface.

    From now on you could just go with the features you have or feel free to change them.

    One comment upfront.
    You see that almost every element and attribute is optional.
    Why? For now we are going with the same set of dtd for the printer unit as well as for any installable option. Except for the UnitName everything else may be different.
    An installable option may support a very small range of elements and attributes, while the printer unit may use a most of them.
    This leaves the xml developer with the responsibility to verify that the printer unit is described completely.
    Right now the mother sample does not at all describe a complete device.
    We have to add a number of features to make it work, not to talk about filling out command sequences and locales.
    I know that, but our target until Toronto is not to present a complete description. We want to completely understand the concept in theory as well as by practice.

    Now you should have your company specific set of xml files based on the mother sample with the necessary differenciation changes done.

    Regards
    Norbert Schade
    Principle Software Engineer
    Host Software Group