UPD Mail Archive: UPD> Toronto: preliminary agenda

UPD> Toronto: preliminary agenda

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@oaktech.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 14:31:51 EDT

    UPDF agenda for Toronto

    1. Features
    1.1. features at least close to finish
    - Extensible Configuration
        - connectors
    - GenericFeatureList
    - GenericPDLOutputList
    - event handlers
    1.2. features under development
    - raster graphic
    - composite features
    - public lists (input parameters from driver, JCL keyword lists)
    1.3. features in brainstorming mode
    - rendering mode
    - color
    - user group policies (customized UI, user specific settings)
    1.4. missing features
    1.5. limitations of UPDF level 1
    2. Sample implementations
    2.1. Linux (IBM)
    2.2. MS Windows (Granite Systems)
    2.3. printer implementations (QMS/Minolta, Hitachi)
    2.4. device fonts (TBD)
    2.5. realistic plan for 2001 for targets
    - extend the number supported models
    - more driver developers, even platforms
    - more printer manufacturers
    - more PDL (like add a PCL 6 sample)
    - more JCL (not just PJL, IPP?, JDF?)
    3. General design questions
    3.1. finish UPDF, level 1
    - specification documentation (like 'UPDF Functional Specification')
    - establishing a series of last calls
        - last call per section (e.g. print media handling, font handling, etc.)
        - tutors for different sections?
        a tutor would manage the last call of his/her section including solving outstanding problems, editing existing
        documentation
        - schedule
    - marketing documents
    - level 1 announcement when?
        - has everything to be ready when we announce?
        - support of level 1 after announcement
    - level 1 presentation when?
        - together with announcement?
        - what kind of presentation?
        - will we have a support members list?
        - press?
    3.2. Moving from DTD to schema
    - schema format/language
    - applications
        - to write schemas
        - to write XML based on a schema
    - parsers

    The rough plan is to spend the morning (8.30 - 12) on item 1, the first half of the afternoon on item 2 (1 - 3.30) and the second half on item 3 (3.45 - 5.45).

    Regards
    Norbert Schade
    Principle Software Engineer
    Host Software Group