UPD Mail Archive: UPD> code flow booklet

UPD> code flow booklet

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 18:57:26 EST

    The latest booklet spec has a Predefined_ID with only 'Unsorted' and 'Sorted'. Not yet on the web site!

    The code flow for a booklet implementation is supposed to work as follows:
    If 'Sorted' is selected, the driver has to provide a proper page flow. Implicitely this setting tells the driver that two logical pages per physical page are required as well as a duplex setting of short-edge.
    If 'Unsorted' is selected, this impies a duplex setting of simplex.
    A booklet setting overwrites the duplex setting, but we recommend to write a proper interdependency additionally.
    Booklet pages are supposed to be positioned centered by default.
    That would do for a simple booklet feature, realized as a check box.

    If booklet is part of a composite feature (the driver has to check for that), check whether target size is part of the composite feature as well. If so, check whether the target allows for two original sizes (e.g. Letter on Ledger, A4 on A3). If not, the driver is supposed to realize booklet by scaling. If so, by imposition.

    If MediaScaling is part of that c.f., check the setting. Default is centered! This would take affect in a sample like 'A5 on A3 Booklet', which would not be the standard case.

    We do not support virtual sizes for booklet printing. That means, if A5 is not part of the media size list, 'A5 on A4 Booklet' can not be realized.

    Comments???

    Somebody like me may design a 'Media' c.f. with booklet as a component. This may result in the following records:
        Letter/Auto tray
        Letter/Tray1
        Letter/Tray2
        Letter/Auto tray Booklet
        Letter/Auto tray on Ledger Booklet
    Verify that the application is always thinking in Letter size.
    When you practice that, you should fully understand the implications. Otherwise ask now, as this is the time.
    This is my (personal!!!) approach how to implement a media feature. The user has one selection for a media with all media features selected in the background. This is not supported by any other device description than UPDF available today, not even close. By this implementation the driver can prevent the user from a number of errors he/she can do with other drivers.

    Norbert Schade
    69 Prescott Drive
    North Chelmsford, MA 01863
    978-251-1017