UPD Mail Archive: UPD> RE: PS> Semantic model: media hand

UPD> RE: PS> Semantic model: media handling

From: Harry Lewis (harryl@us.ibm.com)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 11:34:40 EDT

    I like Bob's analysis. I think the Semantic Model will be most useful
    taking this approach.
    Harry Lewis
    IBM Printing Systems

    "TAYLOR,BOB (HP-Vancouver,ex1)" <robert_b_taylor@hp.com>
    Sent by: owner-ps@pwg.org
    07/16/2002 09:13 PM

            To: Norbert Schade <norbertschade@attbi.com>, Print Services group
    <ps@pwg.org>
            cc: UPD group <upd@pwg.org>
            Subject: RE: PS> Semantic model: media handling

    Hi Norbert, all,

    One of the things we (HP) have been suggesting for the semantic model is
    the separation of the raw "attribute/element" definitions from the
    structures/model that pull them together for a particular use. As you
    not, UPDF has done this structuring in a different way than IPP - which is
    also somewhat different than UPnP & PSI, etc. I'm not sure we want to try
    codify any one structure as part of the core semantic model - these will
    tend to vary by market segment and domain, and I'm not sure we can do this
    one-size-fits-all. What we would like to see, though, is common
    definition of the
    core "attributes/elements" - this seems much more reusable across models &
    domains. It does make sense, though, to publish some of the "common
    models" as at least examples of structural models - IPP, UPDF, etc. are
    likely candidates for this. This exposes some of useful constructs (such
    as the composite feature you describe below) for reuse.

    thanks,

    bt

    Bob Taylor
    Senior Architect