UPD Mail Archive: UPD> Copyright for UPDF device description

UPD> Copyright for UPDF device description

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@attbi.com)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 20:11:20 EDT

    It was requested a number of times to include some information who created a device description with all the involved xml files.
    Some intention is to protect the information against changes, but publically allow it to be used in various environments.
    For some time we had the item on our list.
    Today I propose a solution to solve it.

    See attached the master schema and the master device description as a sample.
    Check the Copyright element with all its attributes at the beginning of the xml file.

    Each schema would show the same Copyright element.
    Each single xml file would show the same entry assigned to the top element.

    We selected the MIT license.

    Some comments have been discussed already:
    As you can see we split the text up into 16 consecutive attributes. So everybody can read the full text without scrolling within the lines.
    It was requested to show the information as attributes of the top element, which would mean it would show up permanently. Has advantages and disadvantages. I'm proclaiming the position that it should be possible to collapse the xml file in an xml editor as much as possible and required, so that someone can concentrate on the elements and attribute he/she wants to work on. Therefore I created an element Copyright where the attributes are assigned to. But I wouldn't insist on that forever, if everybody wants to have it permanently visible. No technical effort.

    We will agree on this in person in New Orleans (it will be on the agenda). But if there are concerns, it's easier to prepare that ahead.
    If you have any serious concerns, I would appreciate feedback within a couple of days.
    Comments???

    Norbert Schade
    69 Prescott Drive
    North Chelmsford, MA 01863
    978-251-1017
    norbertschade@attbi.com

    • application/octet-stream attachment: UPDF.xsd