UPD Mail Archive: UPD> Re: User Interface sample

UPD> Re: User Interface sample

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 12:01:46 EDT

    Michael,
    I'll take this to the reflector as well, as it looks interesting for the
    group.

    Michael's statement:
    > - I agree that a UIFeature should always be bound to a technical feature.
    > But if we ever want to extend the spec for some other UI enhancements
    > (for example: a line separator), this is not true anymore. Or you use
    > another tag name for any potential UI enhancement

    Excellent point.
    I have no problem agreeing that I stopped at a certain point with the
    current design.
    Thoughts I had, but haven't realized so far:

    1. We could include the user interface structures from a separate schema,
    which more easily allows other developers to use it for implementations,
    which do not even have anything to do with UPDF at all. Is that a common
    request? With that in mind a statement that a UIFeature must refer to a
    technical UPDF feature has come to nothing anyhow.

    2. We could carefully (very carefully and not easily) add wildcards at
    certain points of the user interface section. That would allow other
    developers to extend it to their needs. Proposals?
    A problem to consider: A UPDF implementation should always at least "work"
    without these UI wildcards.
    Other feedback to this point?

    Regards
    Norbert