UPD Mail Archive: UPD> update 022104

UPD> update 022104

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Feb 21 2004 - 12:23:57 EST

    Seen Mark's new version of the PDC.

    Comments

    - General
    -- we use 'device-setting' in UPDF instead of 'none' and think that more descriptive.

    - Copies, MediaZoomingByPercentage
    -- we define a range with a step in UPDF
    -- we still do think there should not be any 'None' combined with an integer.

    - MediaColor
    -- in UPDF we would still allow the original MediaColorWKV defined in the MediaWellKnownValue schema ('white', 'pink', etc.)
    -- if we predefine an additional list - as I've done in the attached FSGDataTypes schema - I'd like us to follow the pattern of the updf:MediaColorRGBExtensionPattern, which follows the pattern of the pwg:MediaColorExtensionPattern.
    that means we'd always start with 'custom-media-color-rgb-', then specify an RGB value, then arbitrarily add a semantic identifier. this would not hurt any of the existing patterns in place and would be a reliable and predictable pattern before the semantic identifier. I've seen you like hex values better. so I changed that in the MediaColorRGBExtensionPattern, but used lower case to stay with the MediaColorExtensionPattern.
    does that work for you?

    - MediaInputTrayCheck
    -- I changed the spelling to lower case with dash

    - MediaSize
    -- I didn't check the list, but I assume it's the complete list as defined in the MediaWellKnownValue schema.

    - MediaType
    -- added 'plain' to the FSG data types
    -- added the new FSG data type to the UPDF data type
    -- I did not add 'none', as we have a general 'device-setting'

    - MediaHarwareMargins, NumberUp, PrinterResolution
    -- we do not follow the same pattern in UPDF and FSG, although we express similar information. we think our pattern is more human readable.

    - Description of device color capabilities
    -- especially with the latest modifications and the telecon yesterday in mind I am convinced that the current UPDF description offers all input a driver needs for a basic device color functionality.

    I practiced different ways to implement finishing features, but I'm still thinking.

    All this work only makes sense to me, if we commonly use the same schemas.

    I put all actual schemas and instances on the UPDF ftp site.
    use ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/upd/wd/ or the links on the web site.

    Regards
    Norbert

    Norbert Schade
    69 Prescott Drive