UPD Mail Archive: UPD> wildcards

UPD> wildcards

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 14:05:58 EST

    before we close the spec I want to publically ask, if anybody is asking for further extensibility by adding further wildcards to certain elements.

    Candidates are:
    1. DeviceCapabilites
    - right now we support PrintCapabilities. maybe somebody wants to add ScanCapabilities, etc.
    2. PrintCapabilities
    - there is no wildcard. however I think we covered that pretty well.
    3. All features
    - we have wildcards on the feature record level, but not on the feature level (parallel to a record). we cannot predict the future and some feature may be more suitable than others for extensions.
    3.1. GenericFeature
    - certainly a special feature
    3.2. the halftoning features
    - quite unpredictable
    3.3. variable features like Copies, ScalingPercentage.
    - these do not have any wildcard so far.

    I do not easily see other candidates.
    When it comes to objects, dependencies and events a driver may want to rely on a certain architecture. That was the reason for the whole standard at the first place.

    What do you think???

    Regards
    Norbert Schade

    Norbert Schade