[Cloud] Draft agenda/slide outline for February Cloud Printing BOF

William Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Thu Jan 20 17:02:03 UTC 2011

Michael,

Although this is a great outline, it may give the impression that the PWG
were intending to develop a Cloud Printing specification; from recent
comments, it is not clear that we are or can. Indeed, there are already
various Cloud Printing implementations deployed. I think that we are agreed
that the PWG would like the basic printing semantics to be consistent with
the PWG model, regardless of the implementation; this would not only provide
a more consistent print capability for users, it would facilitate making the
actual printers compatible with the various implementations.  Hopefully, we
could also encourage greater interoperability and thereby make more devices
available to users (thereby increasing printer use).

We have already stated what we consider to be the basic characteristics of
Cloud Printing. I think the next steps are to better understand the various
implementations and consider, from the printer perspective, to what extent
the semantics are or can be made consistent with the PWG model, and perhaps
what must be added to the model. I would therefore cast this outline as a
review of these aspects in extant or imminent Cloud Printing implementations
rather than giving the impression that we intend to specify these  things.
Certainly, after we understand what has/is being done, we can consider from
a printing viewpoint, to what extent they are compatible with the PWG model,
what other solutions we might consider more compatible for interoperability,
and indeed where our model may need to be improved.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner