IDS> DRAFT: IETF NEA proposal

Randy Turner rturner at amalfisystems.com
Fri Aug 15 14:13:03 EDT 2008

Hi Dave,

In the proposal, I just indicated that the "value" is a hash - it's
currently 32 bytes which only allows for a 256-bit hash. If we mandate
that it should be able
to hold a SHA-512 as well, we'll have to double it's length.  I think
just getting agreement for the existence of the attribute is the goal,
we can flex the size of the
field once we have consensus on the acceptance of the attribute.

I agree with your comment about which values to include in the hash,
but from a protocol perspective, the mechanisms would work pretty much
the same way.
Even though a vendor could allow customers to indicate which
parameters are included in the hash, the "management tool in the sky"
would have to know which
parameters make up the hash, on a per-device basis, in order to
potentially remediate the situation. Given this constraint, I think
vendors should supply a factory
default set of params that make up the hash, a set that makes sense in
the majority of cases, and allow customers to override this, provided
they "sync up" their
remediation infrastructure with the same info...

Randy