[IDS] PWG IDS attributes doc

Randy Turner rturner at amalfisystems.com
Wed Aug 5 04:12:52 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I was wondering if we could drop the "HCD_Default_Password_Enabled"
attribute now that this is a "standard" attribute in the PA-TNC
specification?  If we don't do this, I think the 2 attribute defs are
"too close" semantically and would be confusing.

Also, did we adopt the HCD_Firmware_Version and _String_Version
because we thought the two NEA attributes for this information were
too limiting?

Also, I was wondering if we might need to adopt "PWG-specific"  PA
subtypes (NEA lingo) to which attributes are associated?  At the
moment, the NEA PA-TNC draft defines the following
component types:

Testing
Operating System
Anti-Virus
Anti-Spyware
Anti-Malware
Firewall
IDPS
VPN
NEA Client

It might be a good idea to look at the latest thoughts regarding the
"model" of MFP architecture and see if we might need additional
"component" definitions.  At the moment, off the top of my head, an
MFP would definitely have the following components in common with the
PA-TNC model:

Testing
Operating System
VPN
NEA Client

However, there may be security-related (posture-related) components
that relate specifically to MFPs:

Engine
Controller
FaxBoard
UIPanel

There may be others, I don't have our model documents in front of me,
but there may be "multiple" attributes of the same type within an MFP,
but these attributes may be spread across multiple components within
the MFP (these components may be add-on cards, boards, etc.)

This latest email traffic is related to my looking into updating the
NEA mapping document.  When thinking through some of the scenarios and
use-cases, including implementation, I'm uncovering these potential
issues with our existing attributes spec.

Randy

believed to be clean.