[IDS] Prototype report on HCD NAP Binding (12 November 2012)

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 00:46:52 UTC 2012

Hi,

A PWG member company has prototyped the PWG HCD Health Attributes NAP
Protocol Binding
with the following reported results:

"We did a prototype of NAP on an MFP in 2009-2010. The most recent specs to
which the prototype
was developed were wd-idsattributes10-20100409.pdf and
wd-ids-napsoh10-20100409.pdf.

We tested using 802.1x, not the other protocols. We implemented all of the
mandatory attributes.

We didn't have any user apps or patches installed, there was no PSTN, and
forwarding wasn't supported
in the device, so we didn't test the conditionally mandatory attributes.

We didn't do any of the optional attributes.

It all worked well enough as a demonstration prototype.

However, we did find an issue with HCD_Default_Password_Enabled: which
password (or passwords)
should be checked?

   - If there are multiple administrative logins, should all be checked?
   What if some of them are not
   security-relevant? What if some could be considered security-relevant
   but do not administer any
   of the settings that are covered by the health check?
   - If there are different passwords for different administrative
   protocols (e.g., http,  ssh, ...), should
   all be checked?"

Cheers,
- Ira (PWG Secretary)

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Temporary Cabin *** 2012 only *** 906-494-2523

believed to be clean.