IPP> more on IPP and OMG PF coordination.

paul murray pmurray at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Jan 7 17:27:15 EST 1997

Here is a resend with corrections:

There has been some questions about how to go about coordinating the OMG RFP6 response effort and the IETF IPP effort. In order to kick this discussion off. I will begin from the assumption that these two things should, a-priori, be coordinated. The four tidbits of information that I have obtained about IPP are:

        1. Assume ISO DPA 2M level conformance for attributes (as is in the current OMG RFP resp.).
        2. Have been asked (by IETF area directors) to provide MIME
           (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) wrappers for job attributes/docs.
        3. Believe (at least the majority of the working group members) that they
           should use HTTP as the transport protocol.
        4. Are considering an alternative suggestion of using a simple tcp/ip
           based protocol of their own for a transport.

        I propose the following for the OMG printing facility:

        1. Change the design for the "Job Specifier" to include MIME based wrappers
        2. Maintain CORBA as the control protocol and design our own (simple) data transfer protocol,
           later integrating IPP data transfer protocol when available.
        3. The server launches the data transfer protocol based on MIME info.
        4. Maintain tight coordination with the work being done with the IPP attribute model and use it
           as the basis of our default job exec. module.
        5. Integrate the IPP control protocol (when they decide on a transport) as a gateway.

        Note: IPP may not make a distinction between control and data transfer protocols.

                                        Thanks:

                                                Paul Murray
                                                Xerox