IPP>REQ - A call for issues -Reply -Reply

Scott Isaacson Scott_Isaacson at novell.com
Thu Jan 23 20:10:17 EST 1997

I think Randy took the time to write more articulately and clearly some of
the points that I was thinking, especially the part about then querying the
printer for current status.

Scott

>>> Randy Turner <rturner at sharplabs.com> 01/23/97 10:19am >>>
I agree with Scott in that the question "What media is currently
installed in my printer" is too dynamic for directory services to
report. Directory services information should be reserved for
relatively static, dependable information about the printing
service (IMHO); things that just don't change very often. Otherwise,
someone could really be hitting the directory service server
pretty hard with all of these dynamic updates to a particular
entry in the directory tree.

I would prefer a more static approach to the directory service
attributes for IPP. Use the directory service to get a relatively
good approximation for the type of printing service you want, then
communicate directly with the service for any other really
dynamic information like "media currently installed" or "fonts
currently available" etc.

Randy