IPP>MOD - HTML and IPP streams -Reply

Scott Isaacson Scott_Isaacson at novell.com
Fri Feb 28 17:33:01 EST 1997

One of the "major" steps missed was the discussion from the
Wednesday telecon.  We discussed the difference between:

1. A network  print provider wriitten to this new IPP protocol which is
submitting a job and which desires to get queries and status back using
some well formed protocol like IPP (not arbitrary HTML)

and

2. A Web Browser using a Job URL to query and get an HTML document
back showing status or results of queries.

The question was, do we have to pick on or the other for the IPP
protocol?  The discussion in the telecon seemed to indicate that we could
use BOTH.  Since there is a huge amount of input suggesting the need
for some well formed protocol (not HTML), we know that we have to do
that at least.  The question remains is how to do the HTML response as
well?  I don't think anyone is suggesting at this point (at least I have not
heard it outloud) that we should do job canceling via an HTML form that is
filled out and submitted.  So in my view, HTML only comes into play when
a standard off the shelf today browser (no new IPP stuff) is being used
for job and printer status and queries.  No submission or cancel.

This is not to be confused with the fact that HTML could be a PDL that is
sent to a printer using IPP as a job submission protocol.  The job just
happens to be HTML rather than text or some PDL like PostScript.

Scott

>>> Bill Wagner <bwagner at digprod.com> 02/28/97 09:28am >>>
     I, and I expect others, seem to have missed a major step here. I would

     appreciate some clarification of the perceived relation between IPP
     and HTML. "Support" is perhaps too imprecise a term.

     1. If, as Randy suggests, HTML is considered as a PDL to be
delivered
     to the printer interpreter, then it needs no mention in IPP any more
     than any other PDL.

     2. If, as Bob's message seems to suggest, HTML is a parallel
     implementation to IPP ( "the same information and capabilities via IPP
     and HTML"), some clarification of how this is to be done would be
     helpful. In addition, the need for two parallel capabilities is
     unclear. If IPP is browser oriented, and the browsers must 'support'
     HTML, and the desired capabilities can be provided with HTML (???),
     then why do IPP?

     3. If, as Roger's message suggests, HTML is an optional facility that
     may be used by IPP to, perhaps, provide more elegant messages to
the
     user, it would seem that a fallback already exists and that HTML
     support is optional.

     Again, I would appreciate a quick summary of the perceived
     relationship between IPP and HTML.

     Bill Wagner, Osicom/DPI