Don Wright don at lexmark.com
Thu Mar 6 17:39:51 EST 1997

Well, I guess I am going to hack off the IETF people but...

-- warning -- highly opinionated and caustic verbiage ahead

LPR is not a standard.  LPR is not as widely deployed
as many other protocols (pick Novell's PSERVER or RPRINTER
or NetBEUI/SMB which are much more widely deployed) yet we
are making no effort to be compatible with those.  I think the
request is unreasonable.  If a vendor wants to have a
print server that supports both IPP and LPR as an inbound
print mechanism -- great!  But to saddle IPP with LPR is
simply not reasonable.

Is HTTP compatible with FTP? -- no, but both transfer files.
Why didn't the IETF require HTTP to be backwards
compatible with FTP -- because the work was done outside
of the IETF and finally endorsed when HTTP was so widely
deployed it could not be ignored.  I don't believe there is a
hard precedent that has been set that says every new
solution must be compatible with an older means used to
do something similar.  Perhaps we should do the work and
deploy it into the market outside of the IETF's domain?

-- well, I said it and I bet a number of others feel the same way.
Any one else want to chime in?

Don