Don Wright don at lexmark.com
Fri Mar 7 08:13:31 EST 1997

Keith:

First, let's talk about your initial response to my note.

I don't believe "deployed" = "available".  If one day I were
to replace every existing print server with a new IPP based
one and did nothing for the clients, I can guarantee that
there would be more PSERVER/RPRINTER and
NETBEUI/SMB people screaming than there would be
LPR people screaming.  The IETF continues to have
UNIX blinders on.  While significant, UNIX remains a
niche market.  Clearly the commercial operating systems
like Windows (all flavors) and even OS/2 have significantly
more market then UNIX.  So tell me again, why  should we
worry about this?  This is clearly not a technical argument
but a political one.  If the IETF is true to its mission to
provide the best technical solution then there can be
absolutely to reason to worry about something as poorly
spec'ed and inconsistantly implemented as LPR.

Secondly, let's address some of the follow-on notes
and comments.

If your concern is that all the functions of LPR are available
in IPP then I don't think there is a problem.  However the
sentence you kicked this off with was:

>The WG has to make recommendations as to how to acheive
>reasonable compatibility between ipp and lpr.

and then you finished with:

>However, IESG also recognizes   that lpr is widely deployed,
>and that a new protocol -- even a much  better one -- could be
>disruptive to the installed base.

These statements clearly are looking for more than simply a
capability match-up.  Co-existance of LPR and IPP is not a
problem but attempting to match one with another is simply
not worth the effort, IMHO.

Don

To: Don Wright
cc: moore%cs.utk.edu @ interlock.lexmark.com (Keith Moore) @ SMTP,