Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Mar 10 20:07:24 EST 1997

At 15:01 03/10/97 PST, Don Wright wrote:
>Tom:
>
>I have a real problem with this because 99.99% of the printing
>done today does not provide this kind a functionality.  Late
>binding is a concept that exists in none of the major operating
>systems and only in certain packages like Dazel.  Additionally,
>while the protocol may support this type of function, it is not
>in our area to tell application writers what functions are to be
>exposed to the user.

I agree (with you and Bob).  What I was trying to suggest was a
requirement for our requirements document that our IPP protocol would
enable.

                            We can define a model and a protocol
>mapping that is neutral as to the source of the job but beyond
>that it is really up to the implementors of the user interface,
>the print server and the printer as to whether the things you
>ask for are implemented or every possible.

I agree.

>I really think this is more "fat" being added to IPP.  As we
>discussed briefly on last week's conference call, this is all
>becoming way to heavy.  We really need to start thinking about
>a real minimal implementation requirement with functionality
>like the Microsoft proposal with (I hate to say this so you IPDS
>guys cover your ears) "towers" of functionality that can be
>negotiated between the submitter and the server.  We have got
>to cut this down to what is really necessary and focus on getting
>that done and implemented ASAP!!!

I agree with this as well.  So I'm not proposing adding more stuff
(except the page-select that was deleted recently, but is something that
you can do from current applications and that you can do with .PDF PDL
today.  So I don't want to add anything else (except to add back what
we had in our original proposal).

What stuff would you like to see removed from our current draft?

Thanks,
Tom