Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Mar 21 19:33:35 EST 1997

Jay,

I agree that we need to "solidly define when a Printer should actually
attempt to process a job in the face of incorrect/incompatible job
attributes specified by the client."

Unfortunately, I did not copy into my mail note the semantics already
in the draft that a client supplied attribute without an adornment shall
be implemented by the Printer or the Printer shall reject the job.
(My mail note was not attempting to change that fundamental concept,
which your example shows is the right one.)

So your concerns are handled.  If the simple simplex desktop printer
gets a Print request with sides=2 and that Printer doesn't implement
the sides attribute (or if the Printer does implement the sides attribute
but only supports the value 1), then that Printer shall reject the job.

Only if the clients includes the adornment: "best-efforts" (which we
agreed in the telecon today to change to a single job attribute),
shall the Printer ignore an attribute (or attribute value) that it doesn't
understand or support.

Ok?

Tom