Scott A. Isaacson Scott_Isaacson at novell.com
Fri Apr 4 14:50:59 EST 1997

Tom, Babak:

We had better not be defining a NEW  page description language (PS,
PCL, etc.)!  I do not see it being done and I hope this is NOT being done.

However, there is a need to tell the print service (IPP for one) about
some of the information that had to date been opaque (not there or only
embedded in the PDL.)   In IPP, this info is all of  the job attributes:
document format, sides, copies, media requested, finishing requested,
compression algorithm used,  etc.

Scott I.

>>> Babak Jahromi <babakj at MICROSOFT.com> 04/03/97 12:46pm >>>

Tom,

Could you elaborate more on what kind of data the printer driver
(running on the client machine) would report to GDI via such new call?
What I am not clear is whether IPP is attempting to define a new printer
data format?

Today, either the raw data (PS, PCL, etc.) is produced by the resident
driver and then sent across the wire, or a Windows Meta file is created,
and shipped across. Now if the driver wanted to embed IPP-centric
network-based resources in the data stream that is sent over the wire,
we would need to define a new IPP printer data language. Is this being
done??

Babak

IPP