IPP> PRO - About using HTTP 1.1

Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Apr 30 13:15:59 EDT 1997

Hi,

I think that we are wasting our time discussing whether to use a complete
HTTP 1.1 server or a special subset of HTTP for IPP.

Our friends at Agranat has already produced compact code for embedding in
things like printers, that does not take up more than some 20 - 40 K of
memory.  You can check for yourself at:

	http://www.agranat.com/emweb_size.html

Hence, with HTTP code that small it does not seem that implementing a full
HTTP server embedded in a printer is serious problem.  I think that the
only important thing we really need to care about is whether any of the
full HTTP 1.1 server functionality could get in the way when running IPP
over it.

Comments?

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com