IPP> ADM - IPP Documents for the IETF

Roger K Debry rdebry at us.ibm.com
Thu May 22 11:07:28 EDT 1997

Carl-Uno, here are a couple of top-of-the-head ideas on
organizing the documents ...

If the encoding of operations is really to be transport independent,
why not include it in the model document?  Then all of the transport
independent stuff is in one place.

I've often wondered if we could actually do the model document
in two distinct parts -- maybe two documents. One is the over-all
model definition and operations. The second part is the detailed
description of the attributes.

I think that the security document is informational only. I don't think
that there is any new standard definition being suggested in this
document.  Any transport specific documents, such as IPP over
HTTP should include security mechanisms for that transport. For
HTTP, for example, we can describe very simply the use of SSL,
TSL, basic http authentication and digest authentication. Some
other transport may use a different set of security mechanisms.

Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems