IPP> Resolutions

Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Jun 6 19:17:04 EDT 1997

At 01:44 PM 6/6/97 PDT, Neil Joffe wrote:
>You will need to specify the following pairs:
>x-res=300, y-res=300
>x-res=300, y-res=600
>x-res=600, y-res=600
>
>or maybe
>
>x-res=600, y-res=600
>x-res=300, y-res>=xres

Maybe I am too simplistic here, but it seems that everybody in this
discussion is assuming that the values have to be numeric and hence we have
to a x-value and a y-value.

Why not stay with a simple approach of using ASCII text strings, and just
define ONE attribute with the value for the attribute being a simple text
string allowing values like:

"300x300"
"300x600"
"600x600" etc

with an additional rule that what comes before the "x" is the x-value and
what comes after it is the y-value.

This could also allow for cases like:

"300"

which would be semantically equivalent to:

"300x300"

Comments?

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com