IPP>MOD - Print by reference

Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Jun 11 19:03:46 EDT 1997

Stephen and others interested in the print-by-reference discussion,

In our PWG IPP phone conference today, the following proposal was brought up:

It is suggested that we create two new "shadow-operations" for
print-by-reference, one that looks like the Print-Job operation called
Print-URI, which is like Print-Job, but has an attribute containing a URI
instead of the print-data. Similarly one that looks like the Send-Document
but called Send-URI. It will then be crystal clear whether an
implementation supports print-by-reference, by examining whether one or
both of these operations are supported.  The Validate operation will return
an attribute containing information about which operations are supported.
This proposal does not suggest adding additional attributes for security.

I support keeping print-by-reference in our solution as described above,
and meeting the requirements described by Roger deBry (which do not require
security).

Carl-Uno

At 02:47 PM 6/11/97 PDT, Stephen Holmstead wrote:
>Good summary of requirements.  I think that when you narrow
>print-by-reference to this scoping, that is possible in a printer.  I do
>think that there may still be some issues that we need to work through.
> For example, you will give the printer a URL.  Somehow the printer has to
>be able to distinguish the content of this URL as pre-formatted IPP
>material versus generic web pages.  This might be covered in the content
>description fields.  Also, the printer needs to know if there is a
>pre-formatted type that it can handle (can the printer do postscript?).
> This might also be covered in the content description.
>--
>Stephen Holmstead
>Hewlett Packard Internet Solutions Operation
>stephen_holmstead at hp.com

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com