IPP>PRO Minutes of June 17th meeting

Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Jun 20 12:12:44 EDT 1997

Great set of minutes!  Concise and complete.

I have one editorial suggestion for the Protocol document.

I like the example that Bob put in the minutes and think that it
should be included in the protocol spec.  However, we need to make
clear that the example is written in ABNF.  Then I think we should
also show the same example as how it would be printed, since it is
printable.  We don't want people to think that the double quotes are
included on the wire.  Also we want people to understand that there
are long lines.

So I suggest something like:

The following is an example of a Print-Job request in ABNF:
  "0100Print-Job" CRLF
  "job-name 3 foocopies 1 2document-format 22 application/postscript"
  "finishings 5 staple 5 punch" CRLF
  "%!PS" ...

The same example printed is (long line is shown wrapped, but there SHALL
be no CRLF inserted in the protocol):
  0100Print-Job
  job-name 3 foocopies 1 2document-format 22
application/postscriptfinishings 5 staple 5 punch
  %!PS" ...

The following is an example of a Print-Job response in ABNF:
  "0100Print-Job-Resp 200000" CRLF
  "reason-phrase 2 OK job-state 7 pending CRLF

The same example printed is:
  0100Print-Job-Resp 200000
  reason-phrase 2 OK job-state 7 pending

Tom