IPP>PRO: sorry, binary is better (?)

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 23 19:47:33 EDT 1997

I've gone back and reviewed this thread before commenting. It seems mostly like
a "religious" discussion based on programming style and preference. I don't buy
that extensibility is easier via text. This is only true if you don't believe a
central
body will continue to exist to review and "issue" new extensions. If we end up
without a central body, then we have "free-for-all" vendor extension via text
and interoperability degrades, anyway. I don't buy the network sniffer
argument. Network sniffers decode wire protocols and present them in a more
friendly fashion.

The one thing that may be overlooked or un-stated in the discussion is that the
IPP Server may well reside on an embedded controller within a printer where the
effect of storing and parsing strings *can* have a significant effect and where
"programmatic" issues should be favored over human readability.

---------- Forwarded by Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM on 06/23/97 05:17 PM ---------

        ipp-owner at pwg.org
        06/22/97 01:39 PM
Please respond to ipp-owner at pwg.org @ internet