Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Jul 23 23:35:19 EDT 1997

Jay,

see my comment below.

Carl-Uno

At 10:57 AM 7/23/97 PDT, JK Martin wrote:
>While trying to resolve the parameter-vs-attribute issue for
>"best-effort", no one (to my knowledge) has offered up any
>example of such a feature in any currently deployed printing
>system.
>
>That is, is the concept and mechanism of "best-effort" something
>NEW to the printing world?  (It certainly doesn't seem specific
>to Web printing, by any means.)
>
>If there are no obvious reference implementations for handling
>"best-effort" in the world today, then it would appear that we
>are addressing a GENERIC printing system feature, and not
>something specific to the Web (ie, Internet Printing).
>
>Just an observation.  However, if there are no printing systems
>today that deal with "best-effort", then we had best resolve
>this issue very, very quickly, as it adds no real value to
>the concept of Internet Printing.

In earlier discussions I have maintained that "best effort" is what most
every printing system does today (think font substitution & media
substitution for a start).  In my view, the NEW feature is for a printing
system to guarantee full fidelity  and that that it will adhere to ALL
attribute values asked for in a print request, or refuse the job.

>Best-effort is definitely a great feature, but we've spent far
>too many cycles on this one aspect of IPP, IMHO.
>
>	...jay

>--  JK Martin               |  Email:   jkm at underscore.com          --
>--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
>--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
>--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com