IPP>SEC >MOD security and the LPD gateway

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Thu Jul 24 19:56:10 EDT 1997

As I work on the LPD gateway document, I realize, once again, that the
security documents don't deal with two attributes that we in the model
have assumed would be handled at the security level.  These attributes
are:

   o job-originating-user
   o job-originating-host

The LPD-to-IPP gateway receives these two values in the control file and
the IPP-to-LPD gateway needs to put these into the control file.

There may be work-arounds for the gateway.  But that still leaves
these two job attributes without any way to set them unless we make
them explicit parameters in operations or create new HTTP headers.

Comments?

Bob Herriot