Bob Van Andel bva at allegrosoft.com
Tue Aug 19 11:56:22 EDT 1997

<snip>

>We have got to STOP making such extreme 90-degree turns in the development
>of IPP, particularly at face-to-face meetings.  IETF rules notwithstanding,
>it just isn't fair to those of us who were unable to make the meeting but
>still invest considerable time in hashing out the standard.
>
>PLEASE!  If someone has a serious issue/concept/etc to promote for IPP,
>then at least have the courtesy of posting a position statement to the
>IPP mailing list as quickly as possible.  That way we can gather comments
>from around the globe *before* the face-to-face meeting is held.
>
>It's almost getting to the point where participating in the IPP mailing
>list is totally useless...since all one has to do is attend one of the
>meetings and push for a 90-degree last-minute turn in the development of
>the standard.  Let's not do this kind of thing, ok?
>
>As usual, if someone thinks I'm out of line here, then by all means please
>say so.  As a small business owner--and individual contributor to various
>PWG-sponsored IETF standards efforts--I just can't afford all the time and
>money if these kinds of situations keep recurring.  (And I'll bet there
>are lots of BIG business folks who feel the same way.)
>
>	...jay

You betcha!  Thanks for saying this.

I have specified, implemented and tested the interface for delivering IPP
objects through HTTP 1.1 to an IPP parser and back.  This is fairly
trivial, and the spec hasn't changed much in this area.

But.....

When I try to do any serious design for the actual IPP Parser, I keep
running into the flavor-of-the-month with strong design shifts from month
to month.  I can't afford to make any business committments to my customers
regarding this standard until it settles down.

Bob

Bob Van Andel
Allegro Software Development Corporation
43 Waite Road
Boxborough, MA  01719
(508) 266-1375
(508) 266-2839 fax

Information on the RomPager embedded web server toolkit is at
<http://www.allegrosoft.com/>