IPP> Re: JMP> Cancel

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Sat Aug 30 12:02:05 EDT 1997

Tom, thanks for sharing your observations about whether the CANCEL state should
be entered upon request or upon completion of the CANCEL.  I have two comments.
You said it would be an error in IPP is CANCEL were received more than once for
the same job. I agree that changing state upon request gives more timely end
user feedback. But, there are inevitable always going to be system latency in
any request... changing state upon completion just adds more. So I think IPP
must have a way to handle multiple CANCEL commands anyway.

You also gave a good explanation of a robust polling based accounting
application which is basically continuously harvesting and sifting. I agree,
with this type of implementation, my argument about deterministic accounting is
less valid.
However, this is not the only type of robust accounting system that can be
designed around the job MIB. If ever there were an event driven system or SENSE
type of involvement, I still feel it would be better for the CANCEL state to
really mean CANCEL complete. I'm sure I've opened myself to criticism, here, in
that the Job MIB is currently not event savvy. But, there is no reason it
couldn't be (other than we didn't want to tackle the problem) and I am
indicating, if we ever moved in that direction, a deterministic set of states
is preferable.

I do feel bad about the editing, Tom. I admit, at Redmond we (I) mainly
discussed processingToStoppedState as a reason to be associated with CANCEL not
PROCESSING. This is way I suggested an "interoperability FAQ"... so as not to
require more work on the current draft. But, if you have already tied in
verbiage that strongly indicates the opposite, we'd have a problem, wouldn't
we.

I will certainly volunteer to perform the editing task if we resolve that
CANCEL state means cancel complete!

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

---------- Forwarded by Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM on 08/30/97 09:42 AM

hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com on 08/29/97 08:54:36 PM