IPP> Re: Why not use URI for Jobs?

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Tue Sep 2 16:50:17 EDT 1997

I think that the decision on Job-URI versus Job-Id all boils down to a
decision about one of two directions:

   1) The solution should solve today's problems easily while potentially
   making tomorrow's problem harder.

   2) The solution is allowed to make today's problems harder to solve in
   order to allow for the possiblity that tomorrow's problems be
   easier to solve.

I favor direction #1 which implies Job-Id because I believe that new
technology is most successful when it carries along existing technology
easily.  I also believe that it is not wise to make solving existing
problems substantially harder in order to achieve a payback that is not
well understood and may never happen. In my experience, when a feature
is added for some poorly understood future requirement, it is frequently
never used.

Bob Herriot