papowell at astart.com papowell at astart.com
Fri Sep 5 11:12:31 EDT 1997

> Of course, one can always assume some sort of standard (de facto)
> mapping mechanism, whereby the "simple" name is always the last token
> of the URL string:
>
> 	http:://host.domain/printer/laser1 == laser1
>
> If this is good enough, then why can't the same be true for job
> ids, eg:
>
> 	http://somewhere.net.domain/subsys/server3/345 == 345
>
> If nothing else, then such a simple job id mapping mechanism can be
> standardized for IPP "printers" front-ending LPD queues.  Even in the
> non-LPD case, this kind of job identification looks pretty clean:
>
> 	http:://host.domain/printer/laser1/345
>
> This kind of approach looks real clean to me, but maybe I'm just a
> bit too close to the code, if you know what I mean.
>
> I must be missing something, right?  Thanks for your insights.
>
> 	...jay

This looks like the right way to handle this.  If you want to have
control,  then you will have to enforce this in the specification.

I would suggest that you restrict the 'printer name' to 32 characters,
and the job number to a value represented by a 32 bit number.

Patrick Powell