IPP>MOD Why use Job-Id instead of Job-URI for Jobs?

IPP>MOD Why use Job-Id instead of Job-URI for Jobs?

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Fri Sep 5 17:37:08 EDT 1997

> From jkm at underscore.com Thu Sep  4 20:52:37 1997
>
> Bob,

> This may be.  (I'm not sure, myself.)  However, if the exposure of
> job ids is so critical, then why don't we also insist on:
>
> 	IPP printer name == LPD printer name

I have assumed that IPP printer-name == LPD printer name, but
that IPP printer-name differs from IPP printer-URI.  That is
IPP printer-name might be "killtree" and IPP printer-URI might be
"http://foobar.bigcorp.com/printer/killtree"

> If this is good enough, then why can't the same be true for job
> ids, eg:
>
> 	http://somewhere.net.domain/subsys/server3/345 == 345

The translation between printer-name (LPD or IPP) and printer-URI is
easy because of the two IPP attributes and because a name service is
likely to have both.

On the other hand, jobs won't be in the name service because they are
transient, and the syntax of a job-URI is opaque so there is no way
to determine a Job-Id from a Job-URI.