Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Sep 25 14:02:28 EDT 1997

While I was in favor of adding the "document-name" as an operational
attribute at the telecon yesterday, Carl-Uno and I have discovered
several problems and we have a simple solution.

The problems are:

1. Does Create-Job operation also allow a "document-name" operational
attribute?  Then Create-Job continues to be the same as Print-Job,
except that no data can be supplied.  Also the defaulting rules that
Bob wrote up can be applied by the Printer in Create-Job.

2. If the client doesn't/can't supply a "document-name" in the Create-Job
operation, the Printer doesn't want to wait for the first Add-Document
to get the "document-name" or "document-uri" attribute in order to default
the "job-name" attribute.  Not returning a "job-name" on Create-Job
response seems a problem too (since it is MANDATORY to return it).

3. If we keep the semantics that the Printer defaults the "job-name" from
the "document-name" and "document-uri",  I think that the "document-name"
should have more priority than "document-uri", since document-uri is
usually less user friendly and is sometimes algorithmically generated
(digits).

Rather than solving the above problems, Carl-Uno and I suggest the following:

1. Do NOT have a "document-name" operational attribute at all in any
operation (same as we agreed in Atlanta).

2. Since the "job-name" attribute is MANDATORY for a Printer to support,
lets also require that the client supply the "job-name" operational
attribute.  Then we don't need any defaulting rules for the Printer
for the "job-name" attribute. It is up to the client to determine
the "job-name" either algorithmically from the (first) document content or
allowing the end-user to supply and to ALWAYS supply something in
Print-Job, Print-URI, and Create-Job.

Comments?

Tom