Ira Mcdonald x10962 imcdonal at eso.mc.xerox.com
Tue Oct 14 15:20:38 EDT 1997

Hello M. Yergeau,

The IPP working group has chosen to base the IPP project (partly)
on ISO 10175 - DPA (Document Printing Application).  In order for
"text" strings specified in IPP to be transferred to and from
strings in DPA implementations (there are a number), it is helpful
to observe the DPA limitation to ISO 10646 Level 2.

Perhaps this was an unfortunate choice in the ISO DPA standard.
The rationale was in order to help support correct comparison
operations for string attributes.

Certainly, access to the full repertoire of ISO 10646 Level 3
is highly desirable (for the reasons you stated in your note,
below).

But if IPP/1.0 is to be rapidly adopted and deployed by the
printing industry vendors, it must avoid unreasonable implementation
costs for   embedded systems.

I recently read the MIME media-type registration for UTF-8 and
it seemed somewhat ambiguous about which level of ISO 10646
is mandatory.

The IPP working group has approximately three (3) weeks left
to finish their Model and Semantics spec and Protocol spec
and advance them to the IESG (per a recent note from Keith
Moore, one of our IETF Applications Area Directors), if the
IPP/1.0 specs are to be adopted within calendar 1997.  There
is a very real urgency about completing IPP/1.o specs soon.
Otherwise, it is probable that single-vendor or small
consortium implementations of something "similar" to IPP,
but NOT interoperable.  And the "window of opportunity"
to solve the problem of a robust replacement for RFC 1179
will have passed.

Regards,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)