Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Oct 17 16:19:58 EDT 1997

Oh,

I had one more response, which I did not put in the previous message.

At 11:20 AM 10/17/97 PDT, Jay Martin wrote:
>Carl-Uno,
>
>You're correct in that it probably won't take much time to hack
>up the existing text to nail down some kind of encoding that would
>be palatable to the IESG or whomever.
>
>That is not what concerns me about IPP notification, however.
>What does concern me is that no one has offered up any REAL
>scenarios illustrating how IPP notification would actually work.

OK Jay,

Let me try to describe a little scenario on how I think this could work.

As before, the users specify their preferred language when submitting the job.

The IPP sever runs into some status change that the user has asked to be
notified about. The server then prepares the "application/ipp-notification"
MIME content, taking into account the user's language preference. The MIME
content is then sent over the protocol requested by the user and to the
address(es) specified at submission time. The notification in MIME format
arrives at the user's desktop and independently of how the notification got
delivered, is now associated with a little application that either
"translates" the content of the notification into a more user friendly
display format and pops up a window, or alternatively hands it over to a
log file, in which the user or an application can go and look for it at
their convenience.

Remember that we are only defining what goes over the protocol, we do not
have to go into detail about the user interface aspects, as long as we know
that there are several alternatives open.

Is this a reasonable scenario that you could go along with?

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com