Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Nov 6 13:43:29 EST 1997

At 10:06 AM 11/6/97 PST, you wrote:
>Thanks for the explaination.  If I understand you correctly, you are
>proposing that IPP devices which do not support secure connections
>support only enough of the SSL3 protocol to indicate so to clients, and
>that devices which do support security do so through SSL3.  As long as
>the additional code required for devices which don't support security is
>minimal, I don't have a problem with it.
>
>						--- Charles

Yes this is correct. One of the debating points though is still whether you
will be able to go out and buy a "NULL package" SSL3 implementation, or if
you have to craft that on your own. It also seems that a number of current
web servers which use HTTP 1.1 and SSL3 do not accept negotiation to
"NULL", so if you want to use an existing web server implementation as
basis for your IPP server, your choices might be limited.

Carl-Uno

Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com