Turner, Randy rturner at sharplabs.com
Thu Dec 18 18:56:13 EST 1997

The IPP charter says that we will provide both
authentication and privacy. In trade magazines talking
about internet printing, more users were worried about
3rd parties eavesdropping on the content of the print
stream than making sure both ends were authenticated.

If you think about it, the server side of IPP wants to
make sure that the potential client is authorized to
use the resources provided by the IPP service.

The client (printing in an open internet arena) on the
other hand, would probably not want potentially
sensitive information intercepted when sending his/her
job over the internet.

In other words, now is not the time to be changing
the charter. It is a trivial exercise to imagine large
scale use of either mechanism for an "internet"
printing protocol, IMHO.

Randy