Peter Michalek peterm at shinesoft.com
Fri Sep 18 09:44:03 EDT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Kugler <kugler at us.ibm.com>
To: ipp@@pwg.org <ipp@@pwg.org>
Date: Thursday, September 17, 1998 9:21 AM
Subject: IPP> Re: IPP PRO HTTP Connection: close

>Re: PWG IPP PRO HTTP Connection: close
>Carl Kugler (kugler at us.ibm.com)
>Wed, 9 Sep 1998 16:53:39 -0400
>I agree that the client and server must accept the Connection: close
>header.  I'm wondering how to satisfy the requirement that the client
>and server MUST include this header for the last operation in a
>sequence of operations.  Specifically, how do the client and server
>know, a priori, that the current operation is the last operation in a
>sequence (and therefore MUST include the Connection: close

One way for the client to optimize its connection management is to consider
some common scenarios:

* A client implementation may choose to find out printer attributes at start
up time.
This sequence will contain just one request: get-printer-attributes
* Later on, when the user wants to print, it does:
  i.e. sequence of two requests, then disconnects.
* If the user has submitted a series of print jobs, it may do:
it would not attempt to disconnect while sending individual jobs

>        -Carl
>rturner at sharplabs.com on 09/09/98 02:17:29 PM
>Subject: Re: PWG IPP PRO HTTP Connection: close
>I tend to follow the saying "Be conservative in what you send, and
>liberal in whatyou accept..."Whether the text says MUST or not, IMHO
>we should be designing clients and servers to handle a "connection:
>close" header whenever it is received and still function normally,
>albeit with possibly less performance.  Since I am not working on a
>client, I cannot speak for what clients are or will actually do, but I
>do think the client end should drive the connection status, whevever
>        Randy

It would be more efficient if clients are conservative in keeping the
connection up too long mainly with IPP servers
running on systems with limited resources, such as low-end printer devices
whose http servers can't handle too many