Scott Lawrence lawrence at agranat.com
Mon Dec 14 09:24:28 EST 1998

Michael Sweet wrote:

> The IPP/HTTP server can send an error message (request-too-large or
> something similar) and ignore print data once it exceeds the server
> limit.  By ignoring I mean that the server will continue to read the
> data file sent by the client, but it won't store the data for later
> use.  This means that the client won't know that the data file is too
> large until is has been sent in its entirety, however HTTP doesn't
> provide a method for stopping a request short of closing the client
> connection.

But closing the connection is perfectly acceptable under these
circumstances; there is no reason why the server should continue to receive
the data if that creates a server problem.  The server can generate the
error response and close the connection.

--
Scott Lawrence           Director of R & D        <lawrence at agranat.com>
Agranat Systems, Inc.  Embedded Web Technology   http://www.agranat.com/