IPP> Re: IPP Last Call

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Wed Feb 11 17:59:07 EST 1998

Paul,

Please provide more detail about a couple of your objections to
IPP's chosen data representation.

In particular:

> a) if XML had been available at the time we would have chosen to use it.

Okay, but IPP-WG chose not to do so, both "at the time", and again
very recently.

> b) It provides a much less ambigous specification (this leads to better
> interop convergence)

Can you point out ambiguities in the existing IPP specification
which would be made less ambiguous by reference to XML?

Keep in mind that there's more than one way to make a specification
ambiguous or difficult to assimilate (the two the same effect
on the quality of products developed from the specification).

For instance, referencing some other spec might make the IPP less ambiguous,
but more difficult to assimilate, due to the greater learning curve.

--
Keith Moore <moore at cs.utk.edu>                 http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/
Citizen of cyberspace, currently residing in Knoxville, Tennessee, USA.